Hertfordshire Growth Board (HGB) – Growth Board Programmes Update
Report Author: Patsy Dell, Hertfordshire Growth Board (Tel: 07949 887794)
1. Purpose of report
This report provides a short update on the overall progress of the key Growth Board programmes and projects.
Attached at Appendix 1 are the updates from the latest Growth Corridor Programme Board meetings, held monthly to review progress on the Growth Board work programme.
2. Overall Growth Board Work Programme Update
The March HGB meeting agreed priority work for the next six – nine months (at that time the period of focus for negotiations with HM Government) to cover and including:
- Meeting the commitments set out in the letter to the Secretary of State from January 2020 on behalf of all Leaders;
- Responding to the invitation from MHCLG to work with them to develop a proposition to secure HM Government support (including our level of ambition, what can be achieved in next five years (delivery and devolution new models);
- An initial portfolio of prioritised corridor delivery projects known as ‘Wave 1’ including:
- Where detailed Business Cases for infrastructure interventions could be developed in time for Spending Review (SR) 2020 (i.e. before summer recess);
- Progress that can be made over the next 0 – 5, 6 – 10 years development and delivery window;
- Projects which will contribute to accelerated outcomes and recovery: employment sites, jobs and housing delivery (with increased affordable housing availability).
With the national budget and spending review position now being less clear, the original growth board priorities and focus for 2020 and the work programme going into 2021 now needs to be updated. Item 8 on this agenda sets out options for how that could be taken forward.
3. Updates on Corridor Growth Delivery Programmes and workstreams
Both Growth Corridors have now established programme Board Governance arrangement and are overseeing the development of the Wave 1 projects into fully fledged delivery programmes, working to a set of agreed key deliverables and milestones.
Project Management Office (PMO) supporting arrangements are now establishing a common suite of planning and reporting documents for use at the programme board and project team level.
Appendix 1 has an update from each of the corridor projects showing the most recent milestones and current status.
4. Update on Place Narrative, Branding and Communications workstream
The HGB Micro site was launched in July and is now live at www.hertfordshiregrowthboard.com.
The three webinars on the work of the Growth Board and its partners, hosted by the Voice of Authority https://www.thevoiceofauthority.co.uk/webinar/ have now taken place and we saw good interest, attendance and positive feedback on the work of the Growth Board through that activity.
5. Update on Growth Board Accelerated Housing Delivery Programme
The team has been working directly with the virtual MHCLG/Homes England team that are reviewing the Hertfordshire data as part of the Growth Deal discussions. This is covered more fully in the agenda report at item 4.
The work with MHCLG/Homes England will continue but the focus of the housing group will also be extended to look at engagement with housing developers and Registered Social Landlords operating in Hertfordshire.
6. Next Steps
Priorities for the coming month are to move forward with the establishment of the Joint Committee and to progress with the corridor programmes and project work.
That Leaders note the update in Appendix 1 and overall progress across the Growth Board programme and individual workstreams since the last meeting.